Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thoughts on "Crazy Heart"

I watched Jeff Bridges star in "Crazy Heart" last night. I tweeted a few thoughts while I was watching:
  • 'Interesting hypthesis: how many years of abandonment does it take before it's irreconciliable?'
  • 'I'm not a bartender, but if I ever was I would have a no-serving-men-with-children-in-the-bar rule.'

At the end of the movie I was dismayed at what seemed to be a Disney-like ending. I was upset that the director elected to go with the if-you-just-try-hard-enough-and-clean-yourself-up-you-can-do-it tired, old storyline. Doesn't that plot just give false hope to too many people? Not everyone can enter rehab, come out, and be a successful songwriter. It just doesn't happen that way. There is a point of no return. You can drink too much, smoke too much, and burn too many bridges that there is no escaping your self-inflicted terminal velocity of doom.