Sunday, December 6, 2009

Early signs that business was my destiny

Last weekend when I was home for Thanksgiving my dad reminisced to my girlfriend of a story of mine from when I was very young, maybe just 7 or 8 years old. He and I had gone to a single A or amateur league baseball game in Huntington, WV. Unbeknownst to me, he had entered us into the ICEE raffle for a new bike. So it came as a surprise to me when, during the seventh inning stretch, the announcer's voice came down from the speakers and said, "The winner of this game's ICEE raffle for a nice, new, blue bike is...Dan Wright!" I got so excited. I jumped from the third row of the bleachers to the ground, all the while shouting: "I'll sell it! I'll sell it! I'll sell it!" My dad told me that the other kids were a little less than pleased at the winner's poor form. But I was beyond reproach, and well on my way (in mindset anyway) towards a career in business.
[Full disclosure: I never did hammer down a deal for the bike that night. But I think I learned a valuable lesson about not pissing off your (potential) customers.]
JDW